- Non smoking
- Car parking
Beloved by both Stockholmers and visitors, Djurgården is a tranquil oasis in the middle of Stockholm. The island has been in possession of the crown since the 15th century.
Like no other place in Stockholm it collects many of the city’s most famous museums and cultural attractions (the Vasa Museum, Gröna Lund, the Abba museum and Skansen to name a few) with green nature, parks, and family-friendly activities. Djurgården can be reached by bus, tram or ferry from central Stockholm.
Though on a beautiful summer day a walk along Strandvägen, from The Royal Dramatic Theatre to Djurgårdsbron, is highly recommended.
The Royal National City Park is the capital’s green oasis. A few steps away from the city of Stockholm you can walk in ancient forest and open land, take a bicycle ride through historical landscapes, do birdwatching and swim from your own beach. And there is no charge to the park.
The park stretches from Djurgården and the island Fjäderholmarna in the south to Sörentorp and Ulriksdal in the north. This is a place where you can relax and just enjoy the nature or go for an adventure and see beautiful buildings, visit castles and museums.
In these words Prince Eugen, writing from his home at Waldemarsudde to the poet Verner von Heidenstam, alluded to the symbiosis of man and nature that is Djurgården. For centuries Djurgården has been a place to which we come for amusement and to delight in nature.
15th and 16th century
In the 15th century king Karl Knutsson, acquired “Walmund’s Island” and ever since Djurgården has been administered by the ruling monarch, for benefit and pleasure.
Djurgården was thinly populated in the 16th century and mainly used as grazing land, King Johan III turned it into a hunting park, for which in 1581 he purchased ten reindeer, later adding deer as well.
The 17th century
Queen Christina was a frequent visitor to Djurgården, for ballets and firework displays. Later in the 17th century, Charles XI enclosed the hunting park.
“sculling girls conveying lads and maidens out to play and disport themselves.”
In the reign of Gustav III the emphasis shifted to amusement and recreation, and several taverns were established. Djurgården, though, was an inconvenient place to get to. The 16th century historian Olaus Magni describes “sculling girls conveying lads and maidens out to play and disport themselves.”
Rosendal and the 19th century
Rosendal Palace was built for Karl XIV Johan (the first of the Bernadottes) between 1823 and 1827. Ever more splendid villas began to appear, such as Parkudden, Sirishov, Täcka Udden and Wicanderska Villan.
The 19th century also witnessed the birth of Cirkus, Hasselbacken, Gröna Lund, Skansen and the Nordic Museum, not forgetting many places of amusement on Djurgårdsslätten (“Djurgården Plat”).
The first regular land transport links were a horse-drawn omnibus service between Gustav Adolfs Torg and Blå Porten and, starting in 1877, a tram service – also horse-drawn – from Slussen.
The Stockholm Exhibition took place here in 1897, and many of its buildings are still extant, especially round about Lejonslätten (“Lion’s Plat”).
In 1996 King Carl XVI Gustaf officially opened Sweden’s first National City Park, comprising Ulriksdal, Haga, Brunnsviken and Djurgården.